3-6 months ahead
- Research moving companies.
- Book moving company. May we suggest Modern Movers, LLC?
- Changing doctors? Start researching doctors in your new area.
2 months ahead
- Inventory of everything in your house with serial numbers of all electronics and appliances.
- Sort keeping, giving away, selling or throwing out.
- Garage sale and/or sell some items online.
- Donate unwanted items to charity.
- Call the city about pickup of unwanted large items.
- Call utility companies to arrange transfer of your power/water/cable/internet to your new address.
- Arrange for your mail to be forwarded to your new address.
- Arrange for your medical, dental and other health records to be transferred to your new doctor (if you are changing practitioners).
- If you have children, start arranging the transfer of their school files.
- Start collecting boxes for packing! Or pre-order with your moving company.
6 weeks ahead
- Let friends and associates know of your move and your new address.
- Change your address for all of your personal accounts: banks, magazines, credit cards, insurance, etc….
- If you have children and/or pets arrange for someone to watch them on your moving day.
- Start packing the rooms that are used least (basements, storage areas, attics, guest rooms, etc…).
1 month ahead
- Time to get busy! Get yourself organized by labelling each box with its contents and keep a master list.
2 weeks ahead
- Call movers or rental company to confirm your booking.
- Finish up major packing.
1 week ahead
- Confirm babysitters/pet sitters.
- Should you be moving yourself, start taking apart larger items such as beds, tables, etc….
The day before moving day
- Pack your personal travel bag – don't forget valuables such as jewelery, important documents.
- Reconfirm time with movers/rental truck company.
- Take readings from all your utility meters.
- Be present while movers are loading the truck.
- If any items were damaged, note it on inventory list before truck leaves.
- After truck is loaded, inspect the cupboards, closets, closing windows, turning down thermostats.
- Check for running water.
- Lock all doors and inform neighbors that the house is vacant.
Modern Movers, LLC • Service you can trust
Moving & Storage Service • 2242 N College, Fayetteville, AR 72703 • Open Monday through Saturday, 8am to 6pm